2018 Indian Motorcycle Test123
Connected To The Road. Classic Style Removed From Everything Else.
You want to get out on the open road, and we want to get you there. The Indian® Chief® is purpose-built to do just that. A classic body with all of the essentials. First and foremost, the power of the legendary Thunder Stroke® 111 V-Twin engine. Keyless ignition. Cruise control. Chromed-out dual exhaust. And ABS brakes. Everything you need for an unforgettable ride.
- Thunder Stroke® 111: Designed from the ground up, the Thunder Stroke® 111 is a powerful, award-winning engine with legendary features inspired by the Power Plus motor of the 1940s: Multi-directional finned valve covers; Downward firing exhaust; Large, parallel push-rod tubes; Organic, asymmetric fin styling; Right-hand drive; Right-hand cam cover; Classic 2/3 head-to-cylinder neck down
- Dual Exhaust: Dual exhaust pipes deliver classic style and a rich, throaty exhaust note. Acoustical engineering eliminated high-pitched sounds, so all you'll ever hear is the resonance of true performance and power.
- Chrome Headdress: The most powerful icon in motorcycling. Since 1947, the illuminated headdress has graced the front fender of nearly every Indian Motorcycle, guiding the way from legend to legend.
- ABS Brakes: With ABS braking, you'll ride with confidence, knowing you can brake under control in any situation.
- 119 ft-lbs of Torque: The Thunder Stroke® 111 produces 119 ft-lbs of torque with extraordinary power at low RPM, so you can accelerate effortlessly with power to spare in every gear.
- Internally Wired Handlebars: All of the wiring is routed inside the handlebars for a clean, premium-quality look.
- Keyless Ignition: Never fumble for your key again. With the proximity fob in your pocket, just climb on, press the start button and ride away. Misplace your fob? Simply enter your personal security code and go.
- Modern Yet Timeless Instruments: We brought this heritage-inspired instrument panel into the 21st century, while maintaining its timeless style.
- Cruise Control: Automotive-quality cruise control is easy to set and adjust for smooth, relaxed highway cruising.
- Indian Motorcycle® Script Badging: The logos on this bike are powerful, stylish and iconic. No other brand has such legendary identification. For over 115 years, Indian Motorcycle® has stood for the ultimate in style, performance and power.
- Cast Aluminum Frame: This cast aluminum frame is lightweight yet exceptionally strong, providing excellent low-speed handling and confidence-inspiring stability on the highway.
- Engine Type: Thunder Stroke® 111
- Displacement: 111 cu in. (1811 cc)
- Bore x Stroke: 3.976 in. x 4.449 in. (101 mm x 113 mm)
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Electronic Fuel Injection System: Closed loop fuel injection / 54 mm bore
- Primary Drive: Gear Drive Wet Clutch
- Drive/Driven Clutch: Wet, Multi-Plate
- Final Drive: 2.2 : 1
- Peak Torque: 119 ft. lb. (161.6 N m)
- Peak Torque RPM: 3000 rpm
- 1st: 9.403 : 1
- 2nd: 6.411 : 1
- 3rd: 4.763 : 1
- 4th: 3.796 : 1
- 5th: 3.243 : 1
- 6th: 2.789 : 1
- Suspension: Front - Type/Travel: Telescopic Fork / 4.7 in. (119 mm) - Cartridge Type
- Front Fork Tube Diameter: 46 mm
- Suspension: Rear - Type/Travel: Single Shock / 3.7 in. (94 mm)
- Brakes/Front: Dual / 300 mm Floating Rotor / 4 Piston Caliper
- Brakes/Rear: Single / 300 mm Floating Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
- Wheels/Front: Cast 16 in. x 3.5 in.
- Wheels/Rear: Cast 16 in. x 5 in.
- Tires/Front: Dunlop® Elite 3 130/90B16 73H
- Tires/Rear: Dunlop® American Elite 180/65B16 81H
- Exhaust: Split Dual Exhaust w/ Cross-over
- Wheelbase: 68.1 in. (1730 mm)
- Seat Height: 26.0 in. (660 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 5.5 in. (140 mm)
- Overall Height: 46.3 in. (1176 mm)
- Overall Length: 103.5 in. (2630 mm)
- Overall Width: 39.4 in. (1000 mm)
- Rake: 29 deg.
- Trail: 6.1 in. (155.0 mm)
- Fuel Capacity: 5.5 gal. (20.8 L)
- GVWR: 1260 lb. (572 kg)
- Weight (Empty Tank / Full of Fuel): 745 lb. / 777 lb. (338 kg / 352 kg)
- Color / Graphics: Steel Gray
- Gauges: Tank mounted electronic speedometer with odometer; dual tripmeters; digital tachometer; ambient air temperature; fuel range; average fuel economy; battery voltage; gear position display; real-time clock; vehicle trouble code readout; heated grip level (if heated grips installed); low engine oil pressure; and 9 LED telltale indicators: cruise control enabled, cruise control set, neutral, high beam, turn signal, ABS, check engine, and MPH or km/h unit designation; Tank mounted electronic fuel gauge with low fuel LED indicator
- Cast Aluminum Frame with Integrated Air-Box
- Cruise Control
- Keyless Ignition
- Engine Type
- Thunder Stroke® 111
- 111 cu in. (1811 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.976 in. x 4.449 in. (101 mm x 113 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Closed loop fuel injection / 54 mm bore
- Front Suspension
- Telescopic Fork / 4.7 in. (119 mm) - Cartridge Type
- Rear Suspension
- Single Shock / 3.7 in. (94 mm)
- Front Brakes
- Dual / 300 mm Floating Rotor / 4 Piston Caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single / 300 mm Floating Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
- Front Tire
- Dunlop® Elite 3 130/90B16 73H
- Rear Tire
- Dunlop® American Elite 180/65B16 81H
- 68.1 in. (1730 mm)
- Seat Height
- 26.0 in. (660 mm)
- 29 deg.
- 6.1 in. (155.0 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.5 gal. (20.8 L)
- Dry Weight
- 745 lb. (338 kg)
- Steel Gray